Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Black Hills Stock Show

Wow, if there was a cloud 10 I think I'd be on it right now! Cash, my young dog, won the Black Hills Stock Show dog trial. It was his first year to compete there (it's actually been just a year now since he first set foot on a trial field) and the crowds and noise didn't seem to phase him at all. I couldn't be happier with the boy! He handles his sheep well and penning with him is just about like using Zac already.


We actually had a really good day in Rapid City yesterday overall. Zac just missed the cutoff to make the top 16 by one place. He was 4 seconds slower than Cash. He held the 16th spot until the last dog and then got bumped out by my good friend Tim Naasz and his good female, Zoey. Tim was first with Ryn (Nell x Spot) and second with Zoey (Tim's breeding) in the preliminary round. Rene LaBree and Jazz, were 3rd in that round and Dennis Edwards and his good young dog, Craig (Nell x Lew) were 4th.

I also ran Nell to fill in for Jag who is still out with an injury. She did really well for not being to a trial in a long time. She was slower than she needed to be but got around the course and was still in the top half out of 60 dogs. Dustin ran Kat and it was a good learning experience for him. He got through the figure 8 handily but then got hung up at the Y-chute. He learned that it's pretty important to run your dog the way it works best for them and not try to run them like someone else runs their dogs. He has come so far as a handler and I couldn't be more proud of him. He handles loss with more dignity than some adults.

Dustin was also great about helping me stay focused and calm before my runs in the semi's and finals. He took the time to pray over Cash and I before each run and the whole time we were running as well. He is definetly a shining light in this world!

Here are results that I have recorded. I don't have the way we placed in the semi's but the cumulative times to get into the finals. I know Cash was the fast time in the semi finals and I believe Dennis Edwards and Nap were second. They pay fast two times in the prelim's and semi's. Then everyone in the finals.

Prelims:

1. Tim Naasz - Ryn
2. Tim Naasz - Zoey
3. Rene LaBree - Jazz
4. Dennis Edwards - Craig
5. Murray Ketteler - Jack
6. Jeff Garman - Matt
7. Alison Ramsbottom - Cap
8. Alison Ramsbottom - Rob
9. Joni Swanke - Sweep
10. Shannon Fritz - Ben
11. Gerald Bunney - Lou
12. Tim Flint - Lad
13. Dennis Edwards - Nap
14. Pete Carmichael - Liz
15. Joni Swanke - Griz
16. Laura and Cash

Combined time order to get into finals:

1. Murray Ketteler - Jack
2. Tim Flint - Lad
3. Laura and Cash
4. Shannon Fritz - Ben
5. Gerald Bunney - Lou
6. Dennis Edwards - Nap

Finals:

1. Laura and Cash (Yay for my boy!)
2. Murray and Jack
3. Dennis and Nap
4. Tim and Lad
5. Gerald and Lou
6. Shannon and Ben

No comments: